In a shocking royal news development, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested by British authorities on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Eleven hours later he was “released under investigation”, according to a Thames Valley Police statement.

The investigation arose out of correspondence in the latest batch of Epstein files dating back to his time as trade envoy for Britain (2001 to 2011) that appear to show him passing confidential information to the American financier. 

Today is Andrew’s 66th birthday, now to be spent in a holding cell.

Police were seen raiding his new (temporary) residence at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, which is privately owned by the King, as well as combing through Royal Lodge, Andrew’s former home in Berkshire.

Andrew
A ROYAL EARTHQUAKE Unmarked police vehicles enter the gates of the Royal Lodge, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former residence in Windsor Great Park, Feb. 19, 2026, to take the former prince into custody; Below: Andrew is seen leaving police custody eleven hours later. | Leon Neal/Getty Images; Peter Nicholls/Getty Images

In the end, after a decade under intense scrutiny and increasingly serious consequences for Andrew amid lurid sexual accusations and his ties to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, it appears that that money grubbing may be what finally brings the former prince to justice.

DAWN OF A SCANDAL Melania Trump, now first lady of the United States, Prince Andrew, Gwendolyn Beck and deceased financier Jeffrey Epstein at future president Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, Feb. 12, 2000.  | Davidoff Studios/Getty Images

Under British law, suspects cannot be named by the police, but it did not take long for U.K. news outlets to connect the details of the arrest to the King’s brother. King Charles III swiftly released a statement confirming that it was Andrew in police custody: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.” He went on to say he supports the “full, fair and proper process,” as well as the authorities involved. “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation.”

SHOCK AND AWE A statement from His Majesty King Charles III pledging his “full and wholehearted support and co-operation” in response to the arrest of his brother. | Gareth Cattermole / Getty Images

Despite the headline news, the day’s royal schedule continued uninterrupted. As Charles himself said, “my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.” He signed the statement personally. Immediately following, William and Catherine, the Prince and Princess of Wales, let it be known via their spokesperson that they supported the King’s statement.

KEEPING UP APPEARANCES On the day of Andrew’s arrest, King Charles attended the opening show of London Fashion Week. Below: The King in the front row of Tolu Coker’s show alongside Stella McCartney (on his right) and the CEO of the British Fashion Council Laura Weir (on his left), Feb. 19, 2026. | Richard Pohle / POOL / AFP via Getty Images| Lucy North/PA Images via Getty Images

How did a blood prince fall so far? Andrew is the first member of the royal family to be arrested since Charles I, in 1646. The police investigation centres on documents Andrew is alleged to have leaked to Epstein circa 2010, regarding his official trips to Vietnam, China and Hong Kong, and especially information around British rebuilding contracts in Afghanistan. This last bit is crucial, because the allegedly leaked documents dealt with confidential investment opportunities in oil, gas, minerals and gold. Epstein died in police custody in 2019 while awaiting a second trial.

The breach of public trust allegations exist alongside fresh dirt, so to speak, regarding Andrew and women. Among the three-million-page cache of partially redacted documents released by the U.S. Department of Justice were creepy new photos of Andrew seen looming over a woman. Recent headlines feature fresh allegations of other women sent by Epstein to have sex with the former prince on royal properties. 

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor
THE SNUB FELT AROUND THE WORLD William, Prince of Wales, ignores his uncle’s attempt at jollity at the Requiem Mass for Katharine, Duchess of Kent, Sept. 16, 2025. | Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images

There also appears to be corroboration of the legitimacy of the famous photo of the then Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who accused Andrew of sexual abuse on three occasions when she was a minor. Her civil lawsuit against Andrew was ended in 2022 when he paid her an unspecified amount (alleged to be £12 million, also alleged to have been funded chiefly by his mother Queen Elizabeth II’s, private wealth and his father Prince Philip’s estate. The payments have been at the forefront of the British news with rumours continuing that King Charles also chipped in to the kitty).

Andrew
THE FAVOURITE Eyebrows were raised when Queen Elizabeth II, who had been criticized over the years for overindulging then Prince Andrew, had him walk her into Prince Phillip’s Service Of Thanksgiving in 2022. Andrew had been banished from royal life after his disastrous 2019 Newsnight interview on the Epstein matter. | Richard Pohle – WPA Pool/Getty Images

Virginia Roberts Giuffre committed suicide last April. Her family celebrated the arrest news today: “At last. Today our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty.” 

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor
IN MEMORIAM Virginia Giuffre, with a photo of herself as a teen, her memoir Nobody’s Girl was published posthumously in October 2025. | Emily Michot / Miami Herald via ZUMA Press Wire / Canadian Press

Andrew may not be up on charges for sex crimes (he has always maintained his innocence, and that the payout was not an admission of guilt), but it is clear that Giuffre’s bravery, alongside all Epstein survivors, in standing up in public to be heard, has brought about the scrutiny that has resulted in Andrew in handcuffs.

Marco Bertorello / AFP via Getty Images